Parish Lengthsman Scheme
The purpose of this initiative is to devolve some minor highway works to parish councils. It enables parish councils to identify minor defects and maintenance requirements and, in many instances, repair them with funds allocated by Herefordshire Council.
Parishes can use the delegated budgets to employ a local contractor familiar with the area.Llanwarne and District Group Parish Council employ the services of Terry Griffiths Contracts from Llangarron. You may have seen his white truck with “Parish Lengthsman”
Examples of the type of work available for delegation include:
- Clear leaves and other debris from gully grid tops and drainage grips
- Clear vegetation from the entrances and exits of highway culverts
Unlit traffic signs
- Ensure legibility and visibility of traffic signs including straightening, cleaning and removing vegetation
- Repaint traditional finger and mileposts
- Verge cutting
- Cut back overgrown hedges encroaching on footways. Strim overgrowth along footways in urban areas
- Paint and repair fences
- Clear foliage blocking the visibility of road traffic signs
- Clear all minor storm debris discharged onto the highway and keep tidy all specified roads
Nominated task specifically relating to a minor highway maintenance item – as and when agreed by our contractor
If you have any further questions about the Parish Lengthsman Scheme or would like to inform your Parish Council about defects, please Click Here to contact your Parish Clerk.