Llanwarne and District Group Parish Council is made up of the following Parishes: Llanwarne, Pencoyd, Harewood, Llandinabo and Tretire with Michaelchurch. Llanwarne and Pencoyd are the biggest of these parishes. The Parishes are rural, scattered and small in size with no amenities, other than a Pub. Each Parish has its own Church, except for Harewood and Llandinabo. There are no schools, no shops, no Doctors Surgery in the group of parishes. There is one pub, the Harewood End Inn situated on the A49 in Harwood Parish. There are very limited bus routes and mainly lanes rather than main roads link the parishes. Although, it is rural the countryside is beautiful and offers some stunning walks with great views – see Parish Map.
Llanwarne village in situated in South Herefordshire. Llanwarne means “The church by the swamp/marsh or alders”, according to the Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names.
The village attractions, other than its scenic beauty, include the ruined Church of St. John, the Baptist, Christ Church and the War Memorial. St John’s Church was abandoned in 1864 due to constant flooding from the brook, the Gamber.
Ruined church of St. John, the Baptist
The chancel and nave of St. John’s were built in the 13th Century, with later alterations, which include rebuilding of the south aisle and a cross being built in the churchyard during the 14th century. A tower and columbarium and a lynch gate were added during the 15th century and in the 16th century, an Elizabethan monument was placed on the south wall. The porch and doorway were built in the 17th century. This church was replaced by the current Christ Church, which is situated across the road on higher ground slightly to the west of the original site.
Christ Church, Llanwarne
Christ Church, Llanwarne, dates from 1864, when it was built by Messrs Elmslie, Franey & Haddon at a cost of £2,550. It is a cruciform building in the Early English Decorated Style, consisting of a polygonal chancel with vestry to the south, two-bay nave, transepts, north porch and a north-western tower, with spirelet.
It is now a grade II listed building. It is considered a fine example of Victorian craftsmanship, and houses a number of historic treasures relocated from the old church. The tiled floor is original C19. North-east, east and south-east windows of the Nativity, Crucifixion and Resurrection are in memory of Walter Baskerville Mynors, Rector 1855-96. The south transept contains a pipe organ by “Eustace Ingram, London NW, 1882”. On the south side of the nave are two windows which contain a rare and beautiful collection of 16th century stained glass round windows from the Netherlands. These were originally believed to portray traditional and biblical scenes. However, the roundels feature some extremely rare subjects, and are now understood to include scenes from the story of Sorgheloos, a late-medieval Dutch morality tale. The glass was donated to the church by the then Rector, Walter Baskerville Mynors (1826–1899), after it was removed from the parish church of St Weonard in 1884 by Walter’s elder brother Robert Baskerville Mynors (b.1819), to make way for a memorial window to their mother.
There are no amenities in Llanwarne Village. It is a very rural scattered village community. The old Llanwarne village school building is now used as a community hall and is used by different community groups.
Pencoyd was formed as an Ecclesiastical parish and originally as a chapelry of Sellack, Herefordshire Ancient Parish.
The Church of St Denys which dates from the 14th century was restored and expanded in 1877-1878 has been designated as a grade II* listed building.
There are no shops, schools or other amenities in the hamlet of Pencoyd. It is a very rural hamlet with a scattering of properties in beautiful countryside.
Harewood End village includes the Parish of Harewood and parts of Pencoyd Parish when you study the Parish map. Harewood End village is mainly on the A49 and has the one amenity in the group of Parishes – The Harewood End Inn pub www.theharewoodend.com
Harewood is an Ancient Parish and is associated with Harewood Park, which is now part of the Duchy of Cornwall estate.
The chapel of the estate, St Denis is a former Templar church and was rebuilt in 1864 and subsequently used as store. It has been designated a grade II listed building by English Heritage.
Tretire with Michaelchurch
The Parishes of Tretire with Michaelchurch have no amenities but do have a Church St Mary’s Church, Tretire and St Michael’s Church, Michaelchurch. They are very rural hamlets with a scattering of properties. Both hamlets are set in beautiful Herefordshire Countryside.
Llandinabo Parish is a small hamlet in South Herefordshire. There is a church called St Junabius, at Llandinabo Court Farm. There are no other amenities in the hamlet. There is a bus stop on the A49 opposite Laskett Lane.